Unpacking Your Aera
Remove Aera and the following items from the package:
- the Aera diffuser
- fragrance capsule(s)
- power cord (in the box labeled ‘accessories’)
- plastic bag with extra capsule plugs (in the box labeled ‘accessories’)
The placement of Aera in the room is perhaps the most important element to ensure optimal scenting performance and control. Identify a placement location where the fragrance molecules from Aera can use, rather than compete with, the natural air circulation in a room. This is particularly true in air-conditioned spaces. The best location for Aera is, “upwind” of the source of the airflow. For additional information on how to determine optimal placement, please read the “placement” article on the main menu under “getting started” on our online support page.
Fragrance Capsule Preparation
- Cut open the bag holding the fragrance capsule (it will not tear).
- Holding the capsule upright, remove the bottom (larger, white) plug first. Do not force the plugs out as a drop or two of fragrance may come with it.
- Slowly remove the smaller (red) plug from the top of the capsule. Pulling too fast could create a vacuum effect that may release drops of fragrance.
TIP: The plugs may have a tiny amount of pure fragrance residue. Use a tissue to remove and do not place on wood or delicate surfaces. Avoid skin contact with fragrance oils.
NOTE: Use provided replacement plugs to reseal fragrance capsule (when not in use).
Positioning Aera in the room is worth careful consideration. Please see the above section ‘Aera Diffuser Location’ for greater detail.
- Place your Aera diffuser on a flat surface, in a place where it is unlikely to be knocked over.
- Connect Aera to power by plugging the power cord into the jack located next to the ON/OFF button on the back of the diffuser and plugging the other end into a standard wall outlet. The tapered power cord insert should be flush with the smooth exterior of your Aera diffuser when plugged in correctly.
- Your diffuser should turn on automatically when plugged in. Look for one or more of the LED lights on top to illuminate.
- If not, press the ON/OFF button next to the jack on the back of the diffuser.
TIP: If your planned placement of Aera is outside your normal reach, connect the power and insert the capsule on a convenient, flat surface first and then move Aera to the desired location. Unplugging Aera will not affect any programming.
Inserting the Fragrance Capsule into the Diffuser
Insert the fragrance capsule into the diffuser and press the button on the top. Once the button is pressed, the capsule will move down on its own.
CAUTION: Do not force the capsule into the diffuser. Always remove both plugs from the capsule before placing in the diffuser.
Basic Scenting Operation and Control
Ready to start scenting your home? Aera is a high-performance, fully adjustable diffuser capable of scenting rooms from 50 to 2,000 square feet. Once the fragrance capsule is in the diffuser, you may adjust the scent level to match the room size, air flow, and your preferences. This is a unique and powerful performance capability of Aera. Once you determine your scent setting, you should only need to adjust slightly with different fragrances or environmental conditions.
- The ten LED lights arranged in an arc on the top of the Aera diffuser indicate the scent setting. One LED light is suitable for the smallest spaces and ten is capable of scenting a large room (up to 2,000 square feet when optimally placed).
- Set the fragrance intensity by pressing the “+” and “-“ buttons. The LED lights will indicate the current setting.
NOTE: Increasing the scent setting will not necessarily lead to a stronger, more noticeable fragrance effect in your space. It primarily expands the range of this fragrance effect.
- A quiet hum means the diffuser is operating properly. Aera emits a dry vapor of fragrance molecules at timed intervals, which allows you to continuously experience scenting throughout the room. Aera will run intermittently according to the setting indicated by the LED lights.
- To determine the best scent setting for your room, start scenting on a lower level first, then gradually increase. It’s best to "test" when you are not in the room, as the brain gets used a gradual increase in fragrance strength. For example: Set Aera at setting 2, leave the room for 15 minutes, then go back in and smell. If it is not strong enough, turn the scent up until it’s exactly as you want.
IMPORTANT: Do not lean in close to the diffuser to smell the fragrance output when Aera is in operation. Instead, wave air towards your nose with an open hand to experience the fragrance.
TIP: The following chart recommends the scent setting that works best with different sized rooms. We also recommend testing a few scent settings until you are happy with the fragrance effect in the room.
- To replace the fragrance capsule or to change fragrances, press the eject button, wait for the lift mechanism to raise the capsule, and pull up lightly to release. (To prevent fragrance oils from leaking, seal capsules with both plugs when storing.)
- You can change fragrances at any time by repeating the capsule installation instructions.
TIP: Temporarily stop scenting by simply tapping the eject button on the top of the diffuser. The capsule will rise and Aera will stop scenting. Leave the capsule in position. When you want to resume scenting, simply tap the eject button again. The capsule will lower and Aera will resume scenting.